The Thunderkick’s story began in 2012 with the aim to create unique games in the world of online casinos. In the meantime, they’ve managed to become one of the leading software suppliers in the iGaming industry, with offices in Stockholm and Malta. Having a team of passionate individuals, Thunderkick put a lot of effort and soul in their everyday work.
Creating Exceptional Productions
From the first day, Thunderkick’s strategy has been the same – to create exceptional high-end productions. Their recently launched Flame Busters slot, was one of the reasons to contact them and we ended up having a pleasant conversation with the CEO and Commercial Director at Thunderkick Malta, Jan Lunde. Not only did we find out more about the slot, but Jan Lunde also gave us insight into Thunderkicks’s latest achievements, future plans, as well as challenges they face each and every day. So, let’s get down to business and meet them!
1. Thunderkick has recently released a new game, Flame Busters slot. What are your players’ first impressions?
Retro, nostalgia and big wins! Judging the amount of game play on Flame Busters slot we are glad to conclude that we are far from the only ones loving the 8-bit 1980’s style graphics coupled with huge payouts in the feature play.
2. Where did the inspiration for the slot come from?
From the creative gods, of course! And, well, the fact that some of our experienced talents on the team are closing in on their 40th birthday and remember the game play in the 1980s with such a joy that it made sense to celebrate it with Flame Busters.
3. Thunderkick games are famous for their real-time 3D graphics, exceptional mechanics, and exciting sound effects. What does the process of games creation require and how long does it usually last?
Outside of the technical knowledge required we focus a lot on the player perspective. So, we play the game a lot during the development process. In fact, most of us in the company play the game during the development phase. The time from idea to launch varies tremendously between games but we usually spend 6 months or more to finish a game.
4. By offering the high-quality games, you’ve already matched leading software giants such as NetEnt, Microgaming and Playtech. What are your greatest challenges and how hard is it to be successful in the gambling industry nowadays?
In the first years of online casino the main challenge was the technology itself. Today the challenges are several and you must master technology, regulation and most importantly the player experience. This is why we enjoy our work so much – it is great fun to work with balancing technology and human psychology.
5. Featuring rich graphics and interesting sound effects, Spectra slot, as well as the releases such as Flame Busters and Esqueleto Explosivo slot, are known to be some of the most popular Thunderkicks’ video slots. Which one would you single out as the most successful you’ve created so far and why?
Esqueleto Explosivo is our most popular slot to date and the strongest growth in popularity is in Fruit Warp slot. We believe for very different reasons and different players. Esqueleto Explosivo is very instant in its nature and you are always close to that big win. Along with the cheerful theme this makes it very entertaining to play. Fruit warp is more for the seasoned players with patience for very big wins. The fruits might come across as very innocent, but they sure pay big-time when you are lucky!
Flame busters slot, that we released in May, is starting out as our best launch ever, so perhaps this will join the ranks of our top titles during the year.
6. So far, your games are available across numerous online casinos including Bet365 Casino, Cashmio Casino, Betsson Casino and various other places. What is Thunderkick’s main market and do you have any expansion plans in the near future?
For the near future, our main focus is Europe and to enter the regulated markets as they come online. Regulation has really picked up speed and, while it takes a lot of resources to adapt to the various regulations, we are very positive about this as it is beneficial for both the players and the industry itself – it takes away the question marks. South America is interesting now as well in terms of regulation.
7. As someone who’s been working in the gambling industry for soon a decade, do you have a favourite slot? And if so, which one?
Of course! Most of us in the company love both online casinos and the land-based ones. Personally, and when I don’t try new slots I tend to gravitate back to few favourites, but they change as well. Right now, one of them is the Raging Rhino slot.
8. Today, Thunderkick is one of the most popular successful suppliers in the online gambling industry. How did your story begin?
Much thanks to our previous employer all founders of Thunderkick met at the workplace. Over a shared vision it was obvious it would be more fun to dive into the games development under our own umbrella.
9. You must have big plans for the second half of 2017. Can you reveal some of the things Thunderkick will be working on throughout the year?
We do indeed! Some very interesting slots are in development for release later this year and also the first version of a new bonus tool we believe both players and operators will appreciate. If this turns out to be popular we have plans to further develop and build onto this. Also, our first jackpot game has come far in the development, so this might be released in the late 2017 or early 2018. A jackpot game with a twist we are certain players will like.
10. What do you think of a third-party casino portal such as AskGamblers?
In our view, Askgamblers is one of the leading communities for players to find out more about the industry, the various offerings as well as sharing experiences. A great resource and a natural part of our ecosystem.
11. Where do you see the future of online gambling?
It will just get better and more fun! The gambling part of it is the same since a long time, but the technology available is opening up tremendous opportunities for the industry to really make the game play even more entertaining.
Thank you for taking the time to talk to us, it’s been a pleasure. We wish you the best of luck and we can’t wait to see Thunderkick’s upcoming releases!