Roulette is played in several variants, including the most popular variations, American Roulette and European Roulette. The only real difference between the two is the amount of numbers on the Roulette Table and Wheel. American Roulette presents a total of 38 numbers, 1 through 36, 0 and 00. European Roulette omits the 00.
The Roulette Wheel
The American Roulette Wheel consists of 38 numbered slots, 1 through 36, 0 and 00. Numbers 1 through 36 are displayed with Red and Black backdrops. Both the 0 and 00 are depicted with a green backdrop. The numbers on the American Roulette Wheel alternate from red to black, with the 0 and 00 located directly across from one another. Numbers 1 - 36 appear to be randomly placed around the wheel, but are actually laid out strategically to alternate from high to low. For example, numbers 1 and 19 are located directly across from one another.
The Roulette Table
The American Roulette Table depicts a diagram of all betting options. In the center of the diagram is all numbers, 0, 00 and 1 - 36. On the outside of the numbers are other betting options. The numbers are laid out basically in this manner:
By examining the layout above, you'll notice there are 3 "Rows of 12". The "1st Row of 12" is the bottom row, consisting of 1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, 25, 28, 31 and 34. The middle row is the "2nd Row of 12" and the top is the "3rd Row f 12". There are also 3 Groups of 12, known as Dozens. More specifically, they are "1st 12" (1-12), "2nd 12" (13-24) and "3rd 12" (25-36). Each column of numbers, such as 1-2-3, 4-5-6, 7-8-9, etc. is called a "Street".
There are many betting options in American Roulette, categorized into 2 groups - Inside Bets and Outside Bets.
Inside Bets: Inside bets are those made within the numbered diagram on the Roulette Table. Inside bets offer higher payouts, but have lower odds of winning.
Outside Bets: Outside Bets are those placed outside the numbered diagram on the Roulette Table. Outside Bets offer low payouts, ranging only from 1:1 to 2:1, but offer the player better odds of winning.
Inside Bets & Payouts
Below is a description of all Inside Betting options, their respective odds and how to place the bet.
- 1 Number (Pays 35to1): Placing chips on a single number.
- 2 Numbers (Pays 17to1): Placing chips on the line between two adjacent numbers.
- Street Bet (Pays 11to1): Placing chips on the line below a Street of numbers.
- Corner Bet (Pays 8to1): Placing chips on the intersecting lines between 4 adjacent numbers.
- 5 Numbers (Pays 6to1): Placing chips on the intersecting lines between 0, 00, 1, 2 and 3.
- Double Street Bet (Pays 5to1): Placing chips on the intersecting lines of 2 adjacent Streets.
Outside Bets & Payouts
Below is a description of all Outside Betting options, their respective odds and how to place the bet.
- Row of 12 (Pays 2to1): Place chips on 1st, 2nd or 3rd Row of 12.
- Dozens (Pays 2to1): Place chips on an area marked 1st 12 (1-12), 2nd 12 (13-24) or 3rd 12 (25-36).
- High/Low (Pays 1to1): Place chips on the area marked 1-18 (Low) or 19-36 (High).
- Red/Black (Pays 1to1): Place chips on the area marked Red or Black.
- Even/Odd (Pays 1to1): Place chips on the area marked Odd or Even. Note that 0 and 00 are not considered Odd or Even.