Login
EN
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    First1klas
    Newest Member
    First1klas

• No registered users viewing this page.

Playing poker

There are surely many poker players who make mental mistakes and lose the game. You need to avoid these mental mistakes to increase your winning rate at poker. You have to be confident to win any particular game, and you need to work on those previous mental errors that you were made in past.

• 2 years later...

Poker is a game of skill and not a game of talent like some players feel it is. This means that to be successful you need to put in a lot of mileage playing but also work and study at the same time.

Of course it can also be fun to play just to pass time but then you have to accept the fact that you will not win most of the time.

Poker is a game of skill and not a game of talent like some players feel it is. 

Why not talent? I think that you can have a talent for poker too and that talent includes skill to "read" other players, to make good decisions, to follow the whole game precisely etc. I consider those skills some kind of talent (beside experience) :)

Why not talent? I think that you can have a talent for poker too and that talent includes skill to "read" other players, to make good decisions, to follow the whole game precisely etc. I consider those skills some kind of talent (beside experience) :)

That's just part of the movies I guess and has nothing to do with poker nowadays when players read nothing else but their cards and all the calculations and numbers going in front of their eyes. :D Luck and excellent math knowledge is all you need to be a successful poker player, all the rest is just part of the show....

That's just part of the movies I guess and has nothing to do with poker nowadays when players read nothing else but their cards and all the calculations and numbers going in front of their eyes. :D Luck and excellent math knowledge is all you need to be a successful poker player, all the rest is just part of the show....

Math is always a bonus and there are many tools out there to help you improve your ''reading'' skills. Reading in online poker is knowing what ranges your opponent plays at what position.

Luck is not necessary to win at poker, otherwise it would not be a game of skill. If you put in enough volume by playing then luck only helps you smooth out game's variance quicker.

Even if I'm wrong, math knowledge is also a sort of talent :p

I know that players nowadays can open 10 online tournament windows and follow the cards by some script, but anyway, there's a lot of poker players and I think talent and skill (spiced up with luck, yes!) makes one better than others :)

Math is always a bonus and there are many tools out there to help you improve your ''reading'' skills. Reading in online poker is knowing what ranges your opponent plays at what position.

Luck is not necessary to win at poker, otherwise it would not be a game of skill. If you put in enough volume by playing then luck only helps you smooth out game's variance quicker.

I've saw morons go all in every hand make bad reraises bad overbets etc and still win the tournament believe me some people can win entire tournaments on blind luck and it does my head in as I play smart they play stupid and win it all! grrr

I've saw morons go all in every hand make bad reraises bad overbets etc and still win the tournament believe me some people can win entire tournaments on blind luck and it does my head in as I play smart they play stupid and win it all! grrr

Haha, that's actually supporting my point of view that poker is just combination of pure luck and excellent math skills. :)

What you don't see is how many torunaments the moron played before he won that particular one.

Most likely he is down even with a big win. 

But I did se some cases where morons were on huge up swings even for hundreds of thousand of euros and in the end the lost it all!

If you rely only on luck you are doomed :)

• 2 months later...

Poker is a game where one needs to learn. Everything to be learned requires time. That math that everybody talks about here, is something that is learned on years, not on days or months. Yes, there are some rules at the beginning to follow, but they can be applied differently depending on which people are sitting at the poker table. Always poker is a changing game, depending on who is playing. I have played poker for 3 years and I am just at the beginning.

• 1 month later...

Poker is a game where one needs to learn. Everything to be learned requires time. That math that everybody talks about here, is something that is learned on years, not on days or months. Yes, there are some rules at the beginning to follow, but they can be applied differently depending on which people are sitting at the poker table. Always poker is a changing game, depending on who is playing. I have played poker for 3 years and I am just at the beginning.

I agree. If winning in Poker is something you would like to pursue and not play just for fun, then you have to invest a lot of time in learning about the game before you will become profitable.

Playing for fun is also okay and anyone can get lucky to win a tourney or two...

I agree. If winning in Poker is something you would like to pursue and not play just for fun, then you have to invest a lot of time in learning about the game before you will become profitable.

Playing for fun is also okay and anyone can get lucky to win a tourney or two...

I did not know that poker tournaments can be played also for fun.  Although I have played poker for some years,

• 3 months later...

Poker is a game where one needs to learn. Everything to be learned requires time. That math that everybody talks about here, is something that is learned on years, not on days or months. Yes, there are some rules at the beginning to follow, but they can be applied differently depending on which people are sitting at the poker table. Always poker is a changing game, depending on who is playing. I have played poker for 3 years and I am just at the beginning.

Indeed you need to learn everyday to stay competitive in the poker tables!

• 1 month later...

I was playing poker cash games last weekend for 24 hours straight. Lost about 10 coins flips in a row while in some occasions I was favorite 75/25.

And still ended up eventually with just 150 euros profit. After a few more bad beats left and right I decided to withdraw as a simply had enough of it. Slots are just more relaxing even if you end up losing lol

I was playing poker cash games last weekend for 24 hours straight. Lost about 10 coins flips in a row while in some occasions I was favorite 75/25.

And still ended up eventually with just 150 euros profit. After a few more bad beats left and right I decided to withdraw as a simply had enough of it. Slots are just more relaxing even if you end up losing lol

Hallelujah, brother!  :p

• 1 year later...

Online poker is the game of poker played over the Internet. It has been moderately liable for an enormous growth in the number of poker players worldwide.

Hello Fahad1992 and Welcome to Askgamblers.

Please note that posting external links in the forum are strictly forbidden and against the forum rules which can be found here : http://www.askgamblers.com/forum/topic/2465-askgamblers-forum-rules/ , unless you have been granted special permission from one of the forum admins which are Valdes or Cocopop

If you have a moment , tell us more about yourself here : http://www.askgamblers.com/forum/topic/46-introduce-yourself-to-the-world/

All the best and good luck.